Thursday, August 11, 2011

Tomato paste based marinara sauce?

An Italian girlfriend of mine made marinara (pasta) sauce that she calls a "base". She used about a 15 oz can tomato paste and three cans (used the same can) of water - put all into stock pot. From there, she added a variety of dried spices but wouldn't tell me what the spices were or how much of each. I know she added at least one bay leaf and a few slices of green pepper during the cook-down. She tells me she cannot share the "secrets" of the spices as they're a family well-kept secret. I am not looking to open a restaurant here, but am simply looking to make this simple marinara for my family - something I can make and freeze in bigger amounts. Does anybody know what spices and how much of each may be included? Is anybody out there willing to share their secrets?

0 comments:

Post a Comment